Apple Walnut Hand Pies
- Yield: 10 servings
- Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
These mini apple pies are filled with fresh apples and dried cranberries, making them a perfect holiday dessert. Cooking them in an air fryer makes the pastry crisp and flakey.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped California walnuts
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 box refrigerated pie dough
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped California walnuts
- Nonstick cooking spray
- To prepare filling, melt butter in a large nonstick skillet. Add apples and cook for 10 minutes or until soft. Add walnuts, brown sugar, cranberries and cinnamon and cook for a few minutes more. Set aside to cool.
- Unroll each pie dough on a very lightly floured board and sprinkle with walnuts. Gather into a ball and knead several times to incorporate walnuts into dough.
- Roll into an 11-inch circle and cut into circles about 4 1/2-inches in diameter. Re-roll scraps and repeat to make 10 circles. Using your fingertips, coat the outside of each circle with water.
- Place about 1 1/2 tablespoons of apple mixture into the center of each pastry circle . Bring up 2 edges and pinch the edges to seal in the filling. Crimp firmly with a fork and coat with cooking spray.
- Preheat an air fryer set to 350°F for 3 minutes. Cook for 10 minutes or until pies are a light golden brown.
- Replace apples with 1 1/2 cups peeled and diced ripe pears and prepare as directed above, melting the butter before adding to the pears.
Based on 10 servings
- Total Fat14g
- Saturated Fat3.5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat6g
- Monounsaturated Fat4g
- Cholesterol<5 mg
- Dietary Fiber2g
- Vitamin D0mcg
Want Facts on Walnuts?learn more