California Walnut “Chorizo” Burrito
- Yield: 4 servings
- Total Time: 35 minutes
Flour tortilla burrito with “chorizo” walnut meat, cilantro lime rice, Mexican cheese blend, pico de gallo, avocado and shredded lettuce finished with cilantro cream and tomatillo salsa.
For “Chorizo” Meat
- 2 1/2 cups California walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups canned black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon paprika, ground
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ancho powder, ground
- 1 teaspoon oregano, ground
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder, ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 4 – 12 inch flour tortillas
- 2 cups California Walnut Chorizo Meat, divided
- 1 cup cilantro lime rice, divided
- 1/2 cup Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1 cup pico de gallo divided
- 2 avocados, sliced and divided
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, shredded and divided
- 1/2 cup cilantro lime crema
- 1/2 cup tomatillo salsa
To Prepare the Chorizo
- To prepare the “chorizo” crumble, place walnuts and beans in a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil and remaining ingredients to food processor and pulse again until mixture is finely chopped and resembles ground meat, stirring several times and moving the mixture from the bottom of the food processor bowl to the top to evenly mix.
- Heat remaining oil in a very large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add “chorizo” mixture to skillet and cook for 10 minutes or until mixture is nicely browned and resembles ground meat, stirring frequently.
To Assemble the Burritos
- Heat tortillas.
- Fill each tortilla with 1/2 cup of Walnut Chorizo, 1/4 cup cilantro lime rice, 2 tablespoons Mexican cheese blend, 1/2 avocado, 1/4 cup romaine lettuce and 2 tablespoons cilantro lime crema.
- Roll up and pan fry in a dry pan to toast burrito and heat through.
- Serve each with 2 tablespoons of tomatillo salsa.
Based on 4 servings
- Total Fat61g
- Polyunsaturated Fat21g
- Monounsaturated Fat24g
- Total Carbohydrate100g
- Dietary Fiber18g
Want Facts on Walnuts?learn more