California Walnut Larb Lettuce Wraps
- Yield: 8 servings
- Total Time: 40mins
This vegetarian version of the traditional Lao salad is made with walnut meat. Served in lettuce with vegetables and a dipping sauce, it makes a light and fresh dish. Recipe by Chef Ann Kim.
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce (or vegetarian substitute)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 Thai chili, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups California walnuts
- 1 (15.5-oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup grapeseed or canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced lemongrass
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce (or vegetarian substitute)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 Thai chilis, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 16 iceberg lettuce leaves or other leafy lettuce
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- Mint and cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 8 lime wedges
- To prepare dipping sauce, stir together all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- To prepare larb, place walnuts and chickpeas in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped
- Add shallots, 2 tablespoons oil, lemongrass, fish sauce, ginger, garlic, lime leaves, and chilis. Pulse until mixture is finely chopped and resembles ground pork, stirring and moving the mixture around the food processor to ensure an even mix.
- Heat remaining oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add “larb” mixture and saute for 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is nicely browned. Remove from heat and stir in scallions.
- Place lettuce leaves, radishes, cucumbers, herbs, and dipping sauce on a large platter and spoon “larb” into a serving bowl. Spoon “larb” into lettuce leaves and top with desired vegetables. Serve with lime wedges.
Based on 8 servings
- Total Fat13g
- Saturated Fat1.5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat9.24g
- Monounsaturated Fat2.049g
- Dietary Fiber4g
- Total Sugars6g
- Vitamin D0mcg
WANT FACTS ON WALNUTS?learn more