California Walnut Meatless Meatballs
- Yield: 4 servings
- Total Time: 42mins
You won’t miss the beef in this healthier version of the classic Italian favorite.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- California Walnut Pesto or Muhammara Sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute more.
- Transfer to a food processor with walnuts, rice, roasted red peppers, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, parsley, Italian seasoning, and egg. Pulse until combined, but not mushy.
- Form into 8 equal balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Cook for 12 minutes or until firm to the touch. Serve with California Walnut Pesto or Muhammara Sauce.
Based on 4 servings
- Total Fat16g
- Saturated Fat2.5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat8g
- Monounsaturated Fat5g
- Dietary Fiber2g
- Total Sugars2g
- Vitamin D0mcg
WANT FACTS ON WALNUTS?learn more