- Yield: 4 servings
Taste the flavor of Oregon’s state nut in chef Kei Ohdera’s Hazelnut Grits.
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 pint whole raw Oregon hazelnuts
- 2 small onions, divided
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed in 1/4 cup water
- 5 tablespoons grapeseed oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and White pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to just a boil then reduce heat to medium-low until water is simmering. Add baking soda first, then hazelnuts. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the skins have softened. Drain hazelnuts and remove skins*. Pulse the hazelnuts several times in a food processor until finely chopped (approximately the size of a grain of rice). Set aside.
- Finely mince one onion and set aside.
- Take the second onion and slice evenly. Heat 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the sliced onions to a saucepan and reduce heat to low. Cook until onions are soft and translucent, but not browned.
- Add water and bring to a simmer. Whisk in cornstarch slurry and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, slowly pour in 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil and blend until smooth. Pour mixture through sieve to remove any chunks and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil to a separate pan and cook over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add minced onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic. Add finely chopped hazelnuts and onion-cornstarch mixture. Stirring continuously and cook until thickened and the mixture resembles the consistency of grits.
- This recipe is easily customized by adding toppings such as fried shallots and herbs such as cilantro and parsley.
*To remove skins, rub hazelnuts vigorously with a clean dish towel.
Based on 4 servings
- Total Fat58g
- Total Carbohydrate15g
- Dietary Fiber7g
Want Facts on Hazelnuts?learn more
More Hazelnut Recipes
Place a serving of the rice (hot, warm or cooled) in a bowl, then top with a bit of the Heavenly Sauce, followed by the other ingredients listed and ending with the salsa. Add another dollop of the Heavenly Sauce, and bon appétit!
Cold Brew Hazelnut Smoothie Bowl
This cold brew smoothie bowl brings so many kinds of happiness together–hazelnuts, cold brew coffee, chocolate, honey and bananas.