Oregon IPA Cheddar Soup with Garlic Hazelnuts
- Yield: 4 servings
This rich soup packs a punch of hoppy flavor from an India Pale Ale. Sharp and medium cheddar cheeses complement the beer to create a tangy, creamy starter for a fun local beer dinner. It’s served with a hazelnut topping that has a hit of savory garlic flavor. Be sure to buy cheese by the block and shred your own for this soup. Pre-shredded cheeses can have coatings to prevent clumping that also prevent a smooth soup.
- 1 cup roasted hazelnuts halved or roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 ounces Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 ounces Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Tillamook Medium Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Add the hazelnuts, 1 clove of garlic, and 2 teaspoons of butter to a medium skillet. Heat over medium high and toss gently to melt the butter and gently cook the garlic as it coats the nuts. Cook for about 1 minute and remove from the heat.
- Melt the remaining butter in a small soup pot over medium heat and add the remaining garlic. Let cook until it just begins to sizzle, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and pour in the beer.
- Return the pan to medium heat. Stir together the cornstarch and water in a small dish. Pour this into the warming beer and whisk. Continue to whisk as the beer heats and the liquid thickens slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low. Add the cheeses a handful at a time and whisk the soup well to melt the cheese. Once the cheeses are smooth. Remove the soup from the heat.
- Ladle into 4 small bowls and top each with garlic hazelnuts and fresh chives before serving.
Based on 4 servings
- Total Fat56g
- Saturated Fat25g
- Monounsaturated Fat16g
- Polyunsaturated Fat3g
- Dietary Fiber3g
- Vitamin E 5mg
WANT FACTS ON HAZELNUTS?learn more