Pecan Baked Apples
- Yield: 5 servings
- Total Time: 40mins
Baked apples are a classic fall dessert and this version is made sweeter (and more nutritious) with pecans. Combine pecans, brown sugar and fresh apple slices for a comforting dessert that can be served on its own or alongside ice cream.
- 1 cup raw pecan pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room-temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 apples, cored and cut in half
- 3 1/3 cups vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch-by-13-inch casserole dish.
- In a bowl, combine pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and kosher salt. Stir to combine. Using a fork, cut the butter into the brown sugar mixture until it resembles pea-sized crumbs.
- Add the apple halves to the prepared casserole dish. Evenly sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the top of the apples. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the apples are tender.
- Serve warm. If you’d like, top each apple with around 2/3 cup ice cream and a generous drizzle of the caramelized brown sugar mixture at the bottom of the pan.
Based on 5 servings
- Calories 500
- Fat 25g
- Saturated Fat7g
- Sodium 210mg
WANT FACTS ON PECANS?learn more