Pistachio-Crusted Pain Perdu Blackberry Chantilly
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 loaf white bread, unsliced, cut into (6 x) 2-inch x 2-inch x 4-inch “soldiers” or rectangles. (Leave the rectangles uncovered at room temperature for 1-2 hours to dry.)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup salted pistachios, finely crushed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 pint blackberries
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
Pistachio Pain Perdu Soak
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon store-bought pistachio paste
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Pinch of salt
Prep Ahead (The Night Before)
- Cut the bread into rectangles and leave them uncovered at room temperature for 1-2 hours or overnight to dry out.
- Prepare the soak by combining the vanilla extract, pistachio paste, eggs, sugar and milk in a medium bowl. Using a hand blender, purée until smooth.
- Arrange the bread in one layer in a deep flat baking dish. Pour the prepared soak over the bread, turning until it is coated. Cover the pan and refrigerate overnight.
Prep Ahead (1 Hour Before Event)
- Pulse the pistachios in a small food processor until they are very fine. Alternatively, you can crush the pistachios finely using a pot. For best results, sift out the larger pieces using a colander or coarse mesh strainer until you are left with mostly dust. Reserve in a small tray.
- Combine 1⁄2 cup of blackberries with 1 tablespoon of water and blend in a small food processor or hand blender until it is liquid. Pass the juice through a fine-mesh sieve and reserve. Cut the remaining Blackberries into slices, reserve for garnish.
- Warm the butter in a large non-stick sauté pan over medium- high heat until the butter is foamy.
- Carefully lift each piece of bread out of the soak and gently roll each one into the ground pistachios until all sides are coated.
- Transfer the bread into the pan with the foamy butter and cook each side until the pistachios are golden brown, around 6-8 minutes. Transfer the bread to a small baking tray and place in a 350°F oven for 5 minutes, or until the bread soufflés (puffs up) slightly.
- Whip the cream using a bowl and a whisk, or an electric mixer, until soft peaks form. Then season with the reserved blackberry juice, sugar and vanilla to taste.
- Spoon some Chantilly onto the bottom of each plate and top with one piece of French toast.
- Garnish with some sliced blackberries and pistachios around.
Based on 6 servings
- Total Fat34g
- Total Carbohydrate35g
- Dietary Fiber5g
- Vitamin D2mcg
Want Facts on Pistachios?learn more