Root Vegetable Galette with Pecans
- Yield: 8 servings
- Total Time: 1hr 25min
This rustic Root Vegetable Galette has pecans incorporated in the crust and in the filling for a deliciously nutty punch of flavor. This plant-powered recipe packs in 12 grams of protein and can be paired with a side salad to complete the meal.
Recipe submitted by Chef Julie Harrington, RD.
For the crust
- 1/2 cup raw pecan pieces
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes, chilled
- 1/2 cup ice water
For the filling
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 medioum sweet potato, peeled
- 2 beets, peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- For the crust, pulse the pecans in a food processor until coarsely ground. Add flour, salt, and sugar; pulse to combine. Add the chilled butter and pulse until a coarse meal forms. As the food processor is pulsing, slowly stream in the cold water until the dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface, form dough into a ball then press flat into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and allow dough to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the leek in half, then make thin half moon slices. Finely chop the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Remove from the pan in a bowl. Let slightly cool, then mix in the ricotta cheese.
- Using a mandolin, slice the sweet potatoes and beets thin. Alternatively, use a knife.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to the baking sheet. Spread the ricotta mixture on the dough, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges. On the top, layer the sweet potato and beet slices. Sprinkle with thyme. Fold the edges of the dough filling over, tucking and overlapping.
- Brush the edges with egg wash.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and vegetables are soft (cook time will vary on how thick the vegetables are cut and how thin the crust is.)
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with chopped pecans and goat cheese. Cut into slices and serve.
Based on 8 servings
- Sat Fat19.2g
WANT FACTS ON PECANS?learn more