- Yield: 12 servings
A sweet hazelnut bun.
Hazelnut Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 3 1/3 cups bread flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 ounce fast rise yeast or 1 tablespoon fresh yeast
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk, plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar (brand Sugar in the Raw)
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup hazelnut pieces
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown raw sugar (demerara) or 1/2 cup turbinado sugar (brand Sugar in the Raw)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Butter a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Line a roasting pan or baking pan with parchment paper (for turning the sticky buns onto later) large enough to cover muffin pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt butter in the milk over very low heat and beat in eggs.
- Stir milk/butter mixture into the dry ingredients to make the dough. Knead for 10 minutes or for 5 with dough hook. When it is springy and satiny, form a ball and put in a greased bowl. Turn to coat and cover with plastic wrap. Leave in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Syrup: Using an electric mixer cream butter until soft and smooth and add sugar. Beat in syrups and then divide mixture among the muffin cups and top with hazelnuts (about a tablespoonful in each sticky-based waiting cup.).
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Knock dough back, knead once or twice and then roll out to a large rectangle (apx 24X12) with the long side nearest you. Beat egg and add milk; glaze the dough using a pastry brush or your fingers.
- Mix the filling ingredients in a little bowl and sprinkle onto the dough. Now, roll up from the long side and away from you, carefully and firmly (not too tight) keeping a firm sausage shape.
- Cut into 12 even slices, and lie each slice spiral-swirly cut side up, on top of the nuts and syrup in the muffin cups.
- Leave to rise for about 20 minutes then put into the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, by which time they should be golden.
- Place roasting pan or baking sheet on top and turn the whole thing the other way up. Remove the muffin tray and dislodge any nuts that are still stuck in it, adding them, along with any residual syrup, to the upturned buns.
- Cool, then enjoy!
Based on 12 servings
- Total Fat23g
- Saturated Fat10g
- Monounsaturated Fat10g
- Polyunsaturated Fat2g
- Dietary Fiber2g
- Vitamin E 2mg
WANT FACTS ON HAZELNUTS?learn more
More Hazelnut Recipes
Place a serving of the rice (hot, warm or cooled) in a bowl, then top with a bit of the Heavenly Sauce, followed by the other ingredients listed and ending with the salsa. Add another dollop of the Heavenly Sauce, and bon appétit!
Cold Brew Hazelnut Smoothie Bowl
This cold brew smoothie bowl brings so many kinds of happiness together–hazelnuts, cold brew coffee, chocolate, honey and bananas.