Veggie Quiche with Walnut Crust
- Yield: 6 servings
- Total Time: 2 hrs, 15 min
“This easy veggie quiche with a walnut crust is a delicious quiche recipe perfect for weekend brunch or even meal prep. The crust is made with walnuts, providing some extra protein (4g/oz) and good fats (like 2.5g/oz of omega-3 ALA).” – Erin Morrissey, Erin Lives Whole
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted in oven at 300 for 10 minutes
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 head broccoli cut into small pieces
- 1 (5ounces) bag fresh spinach
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, divided
- Combine walnuts, flour, garlic and salt in a food processor. Process until mixture becomes a sandy texture. Add egg, avocado oil and 2 tablespoons cold water. Pulse until dough forms, adding additional water if necessary.
- Form a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9-inch pie dish.
- Using a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface, roll out into a 12-inch circle. Gently lay into prepared pie dish. Using tines of fork, poke holes in bottom of crust. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoon avocado oil in large skillet. Add onion, pepper, and broccoli; cook and stir 8 minutes or until softened. Add spinach; cook and stir 1 minute or until wilted. Remove from heat.
- Combine eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in large bowl; whisk well. Stir in half of the cheese and veggie mixture.
- Pour egg mixture into slightly cooled crust and top with other half of cheese.
- Bake in oven for 35 minutes or until middle is set.
- Let cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Based on 6 servings
- Total Fat39 g
- Saturated Fat8 g
- Trans Fat0 g
- Cholesterol210 mg
- Sodium550 mg
- Carbohydrates30 g
- Dietary Fiber4 g
- Protein19 g
WANT FACTS ON WALNUTS?learn more