Walnut Meat Nachos
- Yield: 6 servings
- Total Time: 32 minutes
Serve up a plant-forward appetizer in no time with these walnut meat nachos. The spicy walnut meat is full of tantalizing flavors that complement the chips and fresh toppings.
Spicy Walnut Meat
- 1 1/2 cups California Walnuts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
Other Nacho Ingredients
- 6 servings tortilla chips (about 8 cups)
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons refried beans
- 1 1/2 cups traditional or vegan cheese (Mexican blend, Cheddar, Jack or pepper-Jack)
- Diced tomato, diced avocado, fresh cilantro leaves, jalapeño slices, pickled onion, sour cream, hot sauce or salsa and lime wedges (optional garnishes)
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place all Spicy Walnut Meat ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well-mixed and crumb like. The mixture should look and smell like taco meat and will hold its shape when gently pinched between your fingers.
- Place half the chips on prepared baking sheet and top with half the beans, cheese and taco meat. Repeat layers.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until cheese is fully melted and chips are lightly browned. Serve with any desired garnishes.
Based on 6 servings
- Total Fat34g
- Saturated Fat8g
- Polyunsaturated Fat16g
- Monounsaturated Fat8g
- Dietary Fiber7g
Want Facts on Walnuts?learn more