Apple Galette with Nut Pastry
- Yield: 10 servings
- 1 cup raw macadamias, almonds, hazelnuts or pine nuts, or a mixture, frozen or chilled
- ¾ cup plain flour
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg, beaten, plus one for glaze
- 2-3 tablespoons chilled water
- 4 large baking apples, cored and sliced into ¼ inch slices
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup chopped pecans, walnuts, pistachios
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons soft butter
- To make pastry, place the nuts, flour, cornstarch and sugar in a blender and process until nuts are finely ground. Add egg and pulse to combine, then add water in a slow drizzle until mix forms a dough.
- Transfer to a floured board and knead gently until smooth. Wrap in plastic and allow to sit in refrigerator for 30 minutes. (Pastry can be made a few hours ahead of time).
- Place apples and remaining ingredients in a large bowl and mix with hands until apples are thoroughly coated in mixture.
- To make crumble, combine oats, flour, nuts, and sugar in a bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and add to mix. Rub in with fingertips until evenly distributed.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lay a sheet of parchment on a baking tray.
- Roll the dough out to a rough oval to fit tray, about ¼ inch thick. Carefully lift onto parchment.
- Lay apples over pastry, leaving 2-3 inches at edge. Fold pastry over apples, creating pleats to enclose the filling. Whisk remaining egg with a teaspoon of water and brush evenly over pastry.
- Scatter crumble mixture over apples then transfer to the oven.
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until golden brown and caramelized.
Based on 10 servings
- Total Fat19g
- Saturated Fat6g
- Monounsaturated Fat10g
- Polyunsaturated Fat3g
- Dietary Fiber4g