Mediterranean Carrot Soup with Raisin Nut Agrodolce
- Yield: 4 servings
Nuts add a silky texture so you don’t need to add anything else for a luscious creamy soup.
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ cup dense nuts, such as almonds, hazelnuts, macadamias, Brazil nuts or a mixture
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt, to serve
Raisin, Nut and Cumin Agrodolce
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons golden raisins
- 4 tablespoons nuts – pistachios, pine nuts and walnuts work great with these flavors
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, add fennel seeds and toast for 1 minute. Add olive oil, garlic and spices and cook 1 minute, until aromatic. Add nuts and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring until nuts are aromatic but not browned. Add carrots and stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10-12 minutes or until carrots are soft but haven’t lost their color. Cool slightly, then place carrots in blender with half the liquid. Puree, adding remainder of liquid as you puree until desired consistency. If still too thick, add some more stock, wine or, for a creamy version, milk.
- Season to taste and return to heat.
- To make agrodolce, toast cumin seeds in a dry pan on medium heat until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add honey, stir to just melt, then stir in lemon, golden raisins and nuts. Remove from heat.
- Spoon soup into bowls and top with a swirl of yogurt, followed by agrodolce.
Based on 4 servings
- Total Fat18g
- Saturated Fat3g
- Monounsaturated Fat12g
- Polyunsaturated Fat3g
- Dietary Fiber5g