Quinoa, Fennel and Orange Salad with Cranberry Nut Salsa
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup quinoa – try the multi-colored for a treat
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 ¾ cup vegetable stock
- 1 bulb fennel, white part shaved
- 2 green onion, finely sliced
- ½ cup grated carrot
- 8-10 basil leaves
- 8-10 mint leaves
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Cranberry Nut Salsa
- 2 ounces nuts (great choices are sliced almonds, chopped hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, cashews)
- 2 ounces cranberries
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Heat a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the quinoa and fennel seed and cook, shaking pan until fennel is aromatic, 1-2 minutes.
- Add stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender but still with a “bite.” If any liquid is remaining, strain then fluff quinoa with a fork and set aside.
- Prepare the cranberry nut salsa: roast nuts in a 350°F oven for 5-6 minutes until just golden. Place cranberries, vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and gently warm. Add roasted nuts and remove from heat.
- Toss quinoa with fennel, green onion, carrot, orange zest and herbs. Whisk orange juice and olive oil and toss with quinoa.
- To serve, place into bowls and spoon over the cranberry nut salsa.
Based on 4 servings
- Total Fat16g
- Saturated Fat2.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat9g
- Polyunsaturated Fat3g
- Dietary Fiber6g