Vegetable, Rice and Nut Burgers with Tomato Salsa
- Yield: 4 servings
A nutty alternative to the typical burger!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, shiitake, cremini, portobello, diced (shitake will add the depth of umami)
- 1 teaspoon chopped sage leaves
- ½ cup grated carrot or butternut squash
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup finely chopped nuts of choice
- 2 cups cooked rice (brown, black forbidden, short grain)
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup mixed nuts, processed to a fine powder (or buy nut meal such as almond or hazelnut)
- 2 ripe Roma tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts, diced macadamias and/or walnuts
- Combine salsa ingredients and set aside.
- Heat half the olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the shallot, mustard and cumin seeds and sauté until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and sage and sauté until soft and browned, 4-5 minutes, adding more oil if needed. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly, squeeze off any excess moisture.
- Place the sautéed shallot, mushrooms, nuts, rice, and ½ of the panko in a food processor. Pulse until just combined, but still coarse. Add carrot, parsley, lemon juice and zest, and pulse just to mix in. Season to taste.
- Transfer to a large bowl and fold in the ¼ cup more panko. Test to see if mixture holds together to form burgers. If too wet, add more panko.
- Combine remaining panko with nut meal. Shape mixture into 4 burgers and roll in crumb. Place them on a large plate, cover and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Heat a non-stick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Coat the bottom of the skillet with remaining oil and cook the burgers for 4-5 minutes each side, or until golden brown and crisp.
- While burgers are cooking, grill or toast cut sides of brioche, spread with Dijon and place lettuce on base. Top with a burger and a dollop of yogurt. Spoon a mound of tomato salsa on top, add the top bun and serve right away.
Based on 4 servings
- Total Fat33g
- Saturated Fat5g
- Monounsaturated Fat21g
- Polyunsaturated Fat5g
- Dietary Fiber8g