Almond, Farro And Black Bean Salad With Cilantro
- Yield: 8 - 2/3 cup
- 2 ounces slivered almonds
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup farro
- 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen, thawed shelled edamame or frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Grated rind and juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 teaspoons Dijon coarse-grain mustard
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add almonds and cook two minutes or until beginning to lightly brown, stirring frequently.
- Remove from saucepan and set aside on separate plate.
- Add water to saucepan, bring to a boil over high heat, stir in farro, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until just tender.
- Drain in a fine mesh sieve and run under cold water to cool quickly. Shake off excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients, except cilantro, in a medium bowl.
- Stir in drained farro and cilantro and mix until blended.
- Note: For an even fresher flavor, add one cup diced cucumber.
Based on 8 servings
- Saturated Fat1g
- Mono Fat7g
- Poly Fat2g
- Vitamin E3mg*
WANT FACTS ON ALMONDS?learn more