Asian Noodle Bowl with Spicy Almond Sauce
- Yield: 6 servings
Whole wheat noodles, crisp snow peas, broccoli and red bell pepper are accented by garnishes of scallion and crunchy sliced almonds. But the showstopper to this dish is the spicy almond sauce that packs a wallop of heat. Developed by: Ellie Krieger cookbook author, “So Easy: Luscious Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Week.”
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1/2 head broccoli (about 3/4 pound), tops cut into flowerets, stems peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 cups (about 4 ounces) of snow peas, trimmed
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup of unsalted almond butter
- 1/4 cup of reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce, such as Sriracha
- 1 scallion, green part only (about 3 tablespoons)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Toast the almonds in a dry skillet over a medium-heat heat, stirring frequently, until they are golden, about 3 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Three minutes before the pasta is ready add the broccoli to the pasta pot. One minute before it is ready add the snow peas and red peppers to the pot.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce. Place the almond butter, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, chili-garlic sauce and three tablespoon of boiling water (from the pasta pot) into a large bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Drain the noodles and vegetables, return them to the pasta pot, add the sauce and toss to coat. Serve garnished with the toasted almonds and scallion greens.
Based on 6 servings
- Total Fat16g
- Saturated Fat1.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat10g
- Polyunsaturated Fat4g
- Dietary Fiber17g
- Vitamin E6mg
Want Facts on Almonds?learn more